Lotus Notes is a tool provided by IBM that has different components like emails, contacts journals, calendars, etc. It is like the Outlook email client from Microsoft but not as popular. Lotus Notes uses NSF file format for storing data locally, NSF stands for Notes Storage Facility. All the data associated with the Lotus Notes Account is stored on the NSF files. So, if you are using IBM tools for many years and need to merge NSF files into a single one, we’re here for you. But first, let’s discuss why there is a need to merge NSF files.
Why Merge NSF Files?
There can be many scenarios and reasons when you would feel the need to merge NSF files. Here is a list of a few scenarios when you might need to merge NSF files.
- When you need to keep the NSF files for archival purposes, it is advised that the files be merged first.
- Merging the files also requires when there are multiple files for the same account.
- When you have small data stored on one file and some on another one, you would need to merge both of those files to manage the database easily.
Manual Method to Merge NSF files:
Merging of NSF files is available using the manual method but the procedure is lengthy and bit risky. But, if you are going to follow the manual process, then you must take backups of the files and then start the merging process.
So, if something goes wrong, you would have a complete backup of the files you were using. Use the steps listed below to combine multiple Lotus Notes Files manually.
- First, you need to create a replica of the NSF file from the IBM Notes tools. Open the tool and click on the File menu option and select Replication and then choose the New Replica option. After that, you have to click on the Browse button to define a particular file path and click the OK button.
- Now, you need to choose the file from which you want the data to transfer. Open the tool and navigate through File to Application to Properties and then click on the Archive Settings.
- Now, go to the Criteria tab in the Archive Settings window and then click on the Create button.
- Now, you need to name the Archive Criteria in the Create Criteria Archive dialogue box and click on the Selection Criteria option.
- You can customize the options according to your liking in the Archive Selection Criteria window.
- Then, click on the Enable this Criteria checkbox and browse the folder in the third section of the window and select the archive database and click OK.
Make sure that archive files and database files maintain the same file structure and check the archive file before closing the window.
Well, you may not understand it completely as it is very difficult for people who are not used to it. Fortunately, there is a better way for you to merge the NSF files.
There is this automatic method to merge the NSF files without any trouble. You have to open the tool and choose the files and the tools will do the job for you. Follow the next section to know more about this tool.
Also Read: How to Change Spotify Username (Two Methods)
Automatic Merging Process:
Well, there is this tool called Shoviv NSF Merge, which works miraculously and merge multiple NSF files into a single file. It is not very tough; you can follow along with the instructions given here.
Shoviv provides the greatest software for NSF merges, the freeware/ demo version of Shoviv NSF merge allows merging first 50 items per folder. Check out the tool for yourself and then purchase the full version to complete the merge process.
Visit us at Developergang to submit guest post related Technology + Write For Us + Guest Post
Here are the steps required to Merge NSF files:
- First, you need to download, install and launch the software and then proceed to the next step.
- Now, you need to select the File from the File selection page and click on the Next button. (The options to add, remove or remove all are also there).
- Now, you need to browse the target folder for the file, click on the browse button and set a destination folder according to your liking.
- There are many merge options available (Join NSF files, Merge NSF files, Merge Contacts), you can choose any one of them.
- You can also choose to include the deleted items folder from the NSF files and click on the Next button.
- Now, you’ll see the status page of the merging process, it will display a message once the merging process is complete.
- You can click on the Finish button once the process is completed.
This way you can merge multiple NSF files without any issue using the Shoviv NSF merge utility. This tool has some awesome features, check out the options in the tool and use it according to your requirements. Free Download NSF Merge Tool: https://www.shoviv.com/nsf-merge.html